Friday, August 06, 2010

I have just returned from visiting my mother in Pittsburgh where she now lives. Each day my sister and I would pick her up and take her out to dinner. When we would return a few hours later, yes a trip to the bookstore or clothing store was a required after dinner activity, to drop her off however the same people would be sitting outside. I felt sad because as we would be pushing my mothers wheelchair back into the community I knew that for most of those people no one ever visited. Much less take them out to dinner, or shopping or just a relaxing day outside for a BBQ. I know my mother is lucky to have my sister visit her everyday but sadly many families do not for various reasons.
We are lucky in assisted living to have many activities and group outing however this will never replace a family visit. How can we work together to be families involved and visiting?

No comments: